What Is Campral EC
What is Campral EC?
Campral EC is a medication containing acamprosate as its active ingredient. Campral EC is used to treat alcohol dependence in alcoholics and individuals who have stopped drinking and want to reduce cravings for alcohol.
How does Campral EC work?
Acamprosate which is the active ingredient in Campral EC has a similar structure to neurotransmitters such as gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) works by sending or enhancing inhibitory messages to the brain. It may also oppose the action of certain amino acids that send excitatory messages to the brain, thus reducing cravings for alcohol.
Acamprosate is only effective when the user has stopped drinking alcohol completely. It is very important to use this medication alongside a counseling program.
How is Campral EC to be used?
Campral EC should be used with or after food with a whole drink of water. Do not chew, break, or crush Campral EC as this prevents damage to the enteric coating of the tablet.
What is the dosage of Campral EC?
- For people who are under 60kg, four tablets (two with breakfast, one with lunch, and one with dinner) are to be used daily.
- For adults weighing over 60 kg or more, the dosage is two tablets taken 3 times daily with meals.
What are the special warnings for the use of Campral EC
- Support treatment with counseling always
- This medication is not a cure-all for alcoholism that will stop you from ever wanting to drink again, rather, a successful break from alcoholism will require time, support, willpower, and determination.
- Campral EC does not relieve alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
Who shouldn’t use Campral EC?
The following people shouldn’t use Campral EC:
- Children under 18
- People over 65 years
- Breastfeeding women
- People with decreased liver function
- People with decreased kidney function
What are the side effects of Campral EC?
Side effects of Campral EC include the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Skin rash
- Decreased sex drive
- Increased sex drive
- Frigidity or impotence.