What is Pyramax indicated for?
Pyramax is an antimalarial medicine that is indicated for the treatment of acute uncomplicated malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria in adults and children over 20 kg (Pyramax tablets) and in children and infants weighing between 5kg and 20 kg (Pyramax granules).
Pyramax is used for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria that is caused by two types of malaria parasites, Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax. ‘Uncomplicated malaria means the malaria infection does not involve severe, life-threatening symptoms. Pyramax tablets are used for adults and children weighing 20 kg or more and the granules are used for babies and children weighing between 5 and 20 kg. Pyramax can only be obtained with a prescription at Drugstore Nigeria, an online pharmacy in Lagos.
What is Pyramax composition?
Pyramax contains Pyronaridine tetraphosphate and artesunate as the active ingredients. Each tablet contains Pyronaridine 180mg and Artesunate 60mg.
How does Pyramax work?
Pyramax contains Pyronaridine tetraphosphate which works by blocking a step in the parasite’s metabolism needed for its survival in the patient’s red blood cells. It also contains Artesunate which works by forming toxic substances known as ‘free inside the parasite or by damaging calcium pumps that are important for the malaria parasite to thrive.
Pyramax is to be taken once a day for three days.
The daily dose depends on the patient’s weight. one tablet a day for patients weighing between 20 and 24 kg and up to four tablets a day for patients weighing over 65kg.
What is the Side effect of Pyramax?
Common side effects of Pyramax ;
• Abnormal levels of white blood cells,
• Anaemia (low red blood cell counts),
• Increased platelet count,
• Abdominal pain (stomach ache),
• Bradycardia (slow heart rate),
• Increased levels of liver enzymes, and
• Hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose levels).
How long does it take for Pyramax to work?
Pyramax is a three-day therapeutic antimalarial drug. Hence your condition should improve within three days of taking Pyramax.
Who should not take Pyramax?
• Pyramax should not be used in patients with severe kidney problems.
• Pyramax must not be taken by patients with severe liver disease or those with signs or symptoms of liver problems such as nausea, abdominal pain and Jaundice ( yellowing of the eyes and skin).
Where to buy Pyramax?
Buy Pyramax at Drugstore.ng, Nigeria’s largest online pharmacy store.