What is Progynova?
Progynova is a hormone replacement therapy containing estrogen, a female hormone. This hormone replacement becomes necessary as the ovaries’ production levels of this hormone reduce with age and stop completely after menopause. Progynova is used in Peri and post-menopausal women.
What is Progynova used for?
Progynova Is used to relieve symptoms that occur after menopause after the body stops producing estrogen. Post-menopausal symptoms may include hot flushes (hot face, neck, and chest). This medication will only be prescribed if the post-menopausal symptoms hinder your daily life.
Progynova is also used in the prevention of osteoporosis. Postmenopause, women may develop fragile bones which increase the risk of fractures.
What do I need to know about Progynova?
Using progynova carries risks that need to be considered, thus, you may need to carry out regular checkups at least once a year. Regular breast screening and cervical smear tests are important as recommended by your doctor.
Do not use this medication if:
• you have ever had or have or suspect having breast cancer
• you have estrogen sensitive cancer such as endometrial cancer
• You have unexplained vaginal bleeding
• You have a blood clotting disorder
• you have ever had a blood clot in your vein
• You have ever had liver disease and normal function hasn’t returned
• You are allergic to estradiol valerate
• you are or believe you are pregnant or lactating
• If any of the above condition happens after you start using this medication.
What are the side effects of Progynova?
Some serious side effects may occur while using progynova, however, not everyone will experience them. Serious side effects of hormone replacement therapy include:
• breast cancer
• ovarian cancer
• blood clots in veins in the lungs or legs
• Heart disease
• Abnormal growth or cancer of the womb
• heart disease
• Memory loss in users over 65.
Other side effects of hormone replacement therapy include:
• Vaginal bleeding after treatment begins
• skin rashes
• breast discharge
• breast pain
• Breast tenderness or enlargement
• Irregular or fast heartbeats
• Painful menstruations
• Swelling in the extremities
• High blood pressure
• Change in sex drive
• changes in body weight
• muscle cramps
• Other unlisted side effects
Should any of these effects persist or worsen, inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
How is Progynova used?
Progynova tablets are to be swallowed whole, do not crush, chew or break the tablets. Use this medication at the dosage prescribed by your doctor.
Is Progynova used during IVF?
Progynova Provides a synthetic source of estrogen, and is used to build up the lining of the uterus in preparation for embryo transfer during a frozen embryo transfer cycle in vitro fertilization procedures.