What is priorix used for?
Priorix is a vaccine that is used in 9 months old children adolescents and adults to protect them against illnesses caused by measles, mumps and rubella viruses. Priorix can be purchased at Drugstore Nigeria, an online pharmacy store in Lagos.
What is the component of Priorix?
Priorix vaccine is a sterile lyophilised mixed preparation that contains the attenuated Schwarz measles virus strain, the RIT 4385 strain of mumps virus (derived from the Jeryl Lynn strain) and the Wistar RA 27/3 rubella virus strain.
Priorix vaccine also contains other ingredients which include;
Powder: Amino acids (containing phenylalanine), Lactose (anhydrous), Mannitol(E 421), Sorbitol (E 420), Medium 199 (containing phenylalanine, para-aminobenzoic acid, sodium and potassium),
Solvent: Water for injections
How does the Priorix vaccine work?
The immune system (the body’s natural defence system) makes antibodies to protect a person from being infected by measles, mumps and rubella viruses. When a person gets vaccinated with Priorix.
Priorix vaccine contains live viruses, which are too weak to cause measles, mumps or rubella in healthy people.
A single 0.5 ml dose of the reconstituted Priorix vaccine is recommended.
As vaccination schemes differ from country to country, the advised schedule for each country must be in agreement with the national recommendations.
Direction of use
• Priorix vaccine is for subcutaneous injection, although it can be given by intramuscular injection, Priorix is injected under the skin or into the muscle, either in the upper arm or in the outer thigh.
• The Priorix vaccine should never be given into a vein.
• The Priorix vaccine should be administered subcutaneously in subjects with bleeding disorders (e.g. thrombocytopenia or any coagulation disorder).
• For instructions on reconstitution of Priorix vaccine before administration, check the leaflet that came with the product package.
What are the possible side effects of priorix vaccine?
Common side effects of priority vaccine ;
• Redness at the injection site
• Fever of 38°C or higher
• Pain and swelling at the injection site
• Fever higher than 39.5°C
• Rash (spots)
• Upper respiratory tract infection
Who should not take the Priorix vaccine?
• If you are allergic to any of the components of the priorix vaccine. Signs of an allergic reaction to the Priorix vaccine include; itchy skin rash, shortness of breath and swelling of the face or tongue.
• If you are known to be allergic to neomycin which is an antibiotic agent
• If you have a severe infection that comes with a high temperature. In these cases, vaccination with priority vaccine will be postponed until recovery.
• If you have any illness (such as Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)).
• If you are taking any medicine that weakens the immune system. Whether priorix vaccine will be administered to you will depend upon the level of your immune defences;
• If you are pregnant do not take the priorix vaccine. In addition, pregnancy should be avoided for 1 month following vaccination with priorix.
Can the Priorix vaccine be administered to pregnant women and Breastfeeding mothers?
Priorix vaccine should not be administered to pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers.
Where to buy Priorix in Nigeria?
Buy Priorix vaccine at Drugstore.ng, Nigeria’s largest online pharmacy store.