What is Lugol’s solution used for?
Lugol’s solution medication is used along with antithyroid medicines to prepare the thyroid gland for surgical removal and the treatment of certain overactive thyroid conditions such as hyperthyroidism, and thyroid storm. Lugol’s solution is available for purchase at Drugstore Nigeria, an online pharmacy store in Lagos.
What is Lugol’s solution composition?
Lugol’s solution contains elemental iodine (5%) and potassium iodide (KI, 10%) together with distilled water.
How does Lugol’s solution work?
Lugol’s solution works by shrinking the size of the thyroid gland and decreasing the number of thyroid hormones the body makes.
What is the dose of Lugol’s solution?
The normal dose of Lugol’s solution for thyroid surgery is 8 drops. to be taken 3 times daily for adults, teenagers and children.
How is Lugol’s solution administered?
• Mix Lugol’s solution with 8 ounces (1 cup) of water or juice.
• Do not use Lugol’s solution directly in the mouth.
• The dose of Lugol’s solution depends on what it is used for.
• it is most effective if it is taken on an empty stomach before breakfast.
How many times in a day should Lugol’s solution be used?
Adults, teenagers, and children should take 3 to 5 drops, three times a day for ten days before surgery. Lugol’s solution is usually given along with antithyroid medication.
What are the side effects of taking Lugol’s Solution?
Common side effects of taking Lugol’s solution include; Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Fever, Burning sensations in the throat and mouth, and Stomach pain.
Why is Iodine important in the body?
The importance of Iodine includes;
• Iodine is needed in the body for the cells to change food into energy.
• Iodine helps normal thyroid function.
• It is also needed for the production of thyroid hormones.
Who should not take Lugol’s Solution?
• Patients with Thyroid disorders: Prolonged use or high doses of iodine causes thyroid disorders to worsen, including hypothyroidism, an enlarged thyroid gland (goitre), or a thyroid tumour.
• Patients with autoimmune thyroid disease might be especially sensitive to the harmful effects of iodine.
Will taking too much iodine cause weight gain?
If you take high doses of iodine for long periods, it will change the way your thyroid gland works which can lead to a wide range of different symptoms, such as weight gain.
Where to buy Lugol’s solution
Buy Lugol’s solution at the best prices at Drugstore. ng. Nigeria’s online pharmacy store.