What is Gynopill 1.5mg?
Gynopill 1.5mg is a hormonal drug that contains progesterone hormone called Levonorgestrel as its active pharmaceutical ingredient. Gynopill 1.5mg contains other inactive ingredients called excipients in sufficient quantities.
What is the active ingredient in Gynopill?
Gynopill contains Levonorgestrel as an active ingredient.
What is Levonorgestrel Intrauterine System (IUD)?
Gynopill is found in some IUDs and Levonorgestrel intrauterine system is a T-shaped plastic intrauterine device (IUD) which is placed in the uterus where it slowly releases the hormone.
Levonorgestrel intrauterine system contains 52 mg of levonorgestrel. It is initially released at a rate of approximately 20 mcg/day. The rate decreases progressively to about 10 mcg/day after 5 years and 9 mcg/day after 6 years.
What is Gynopill 1.5mg indicated for?
• Gynopill is used as an Emergency Contraception Tablets: Gynopill is used for the prevention of pregnancy after unprotected sex especially when one is not in her safe period or if one is a few days to her ovulation. Gynopill should be used within 72 hours after unprotected sex for it to be effective.
• Gynopill is used as long-term contraception or nonemergency contraception (IUDs): Gynopill is used in various hormone-releasing intrauterine devices for long-term contraception ranging for a duration of 3-5 years.
• It is used for Hormone therapy and off-label uses: Gynopill contains Levonorgestrel as an active ingredient which is prescribed in combination with estradiol as hormone therapy during menopause to manage vasomotor symptoms and to prevent osteoporosis.
How does Gynopill work to prevent pregnancy?
Gynopill works to prevent pregnancy in these ways;
• Gynopill prevents the release of eggs from the ovary (ovulation).
• Gynopill makes it difficult for sperm to get to an egg by thickening vaginal fluid.
• Gynopill prevents the attachment of a fertilised egg to the womb.
Gynopill 1.5mg Dosage
For Emergency Contraception (Tablets):
Take one tablet of Gynopill 1.5mg to be taken once.
For Long-term contraception or nonemergency contraception (IUDs): One Gynopill IUD is inserted into your uterus by your doctor and removed at the manufacturer’s specified time. The Levonorgestrel intrauterine system (IUD) lasts between 3 to 5 years depending on the brand.
What are the side effects of Gynopill?
Side effects of Gynopill include;
• Vaginal bleeding
• Breast pain or tenderness
• Stomach pain
• Infections for IUDs only
Can Gynopill be used in pregnancy?
No, do not use Gynopill when you are pregnant.
Can a breastfeeding mother use Gynopill?
Yes, Gynopill can be used while breastfeeding and It is safe. However, about 0.1% of the maternal dose of Gynopill can be transferred via milk to the nursed infant.
Where can I buy Gynopill?
You can buy Gynopill at Drugstore.ng, Nigeria’s largest online pharmacy store.