What is EpiPen?
EpiPen is an auto injector device containing adrenaline. It is used in events of Anaphylaxis, which is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Allergic reactions happen within seconds or minutes of exposure to something a person is allergic to, such as peanuts or insect bites or stings.
How does Epi-pen work?
EpiPen auto injector delivers a single 0.3 mg dose of adrenaline when activated. Adrenaline is considered the first line drug of choice for allergic emergencies. It acts as an antagonist by reversing the effects of the allergic reaction on muscles, blood vessels and other tissues.
- Epipen should only be used by a person with a history or at risk of an anaphylactic reaction.
- Tell your healthcare professional about all of your medical conditions, especially if you have asthma.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose of Epi-Pen. Only a medical professional should administer additional doses if you need more than the recommended 0.3mg shot.
- EpiPen injection is to be administered intramuscularly. Do not inject into your veins.
- EpiPen should only be injected into the middle of your outer thigh (upper leg).
Are there different doses of Epi-Pens?
There are two types of EpiPen – the EpiPen Auto-Injector which delivers a single dose of 0.3 mg epinephrine, and EpiPen Jr which delivers a single dose of 0.15 mg Epinephrine.
Can you overdose on EpiPen?
Yes, you can. In most cases of allergic reactions, a single dose of Epi-Pen would suffice. However, if you accidentally overdose on your EpiPen, contact your doctor immediately.
Epi-Pen Side Effects
Some of the side effects of EpiPen include:
- Excessive sweating
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problems
- Injection site reactions such as swelling, tenderness, or pain
Get Epi-pen at the best prices on Drugstore Nigeria, the largest online pharmacy in Lagos, Nigeria.