ELIQUIS 5mg TAB
Eliquis is a brand name for the anticoagulant, Apixaban. Apixaban is used to prevent blood clots from forming due to irregular heartbeat. This irregular beating or pumping of the heart can increase the risk of stroke. It is also used in the treatment of other types of clots such as deep vein thrombosis. It also helps to prevent them from forming again.
Eliquis is a prescription medication.
What is Apixaban used for?
Apixaban is used to treat medical conditions caused by a blood clot. These conditions include:
- Heart attack
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in the legs)
- Pulmonary Embolism (blood clot in the lungs)
It is most commonly prescribed in people with an abnormal heartbeat and people who have recently had a hip or knee joint replacement surgery.
How does Eliquis work?
The major ingredient in Eliquis, Apixaban, belongs to a class of drugs known as Anticoagulants or blood thinners. They work by blocking certain proteins clotting in the blood, and making blood flow through your veins more easily.
Eliquis Side Effects
Some of the side effects of Eliquis include:
- Bleeding in the gum or nose
- Heavier periods in females
- Red or pinkish urine
- Swelling or joint pain
- Chest Pain
Tell your doctor of all the medications you are using.
To be used with caution in pregnant women as this may cause bleeding in both the mother and the unborn child.
Before using Eliquis, tell your doctor if you have, or have a history of any of the following:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Blood disorder such as anemia, hemophilia, thrombocytopenia
- Drinking problems
- Do not miss your doses of Eliquis.
- Do not discontinue this medication without your doctor’s approval as this may increase your risk of getting a stroke.
- If you are found to have an allergy to Apixaban, another anticoagulant will be prescribed. But do not stop taking Eliquis without talking to your doctor.
- Continue to take Eliquis even when you do not feel ill anymore.
How to use Eliquis
Eliquis comes in tablet form, so it is to be taken orally. Apixaban can be used with or without food. Try to use this medication around the same time everyday. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed.
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist for your dosage of Eliquis and use exactly as directed.
You can get Eliquis on Drugstore Nigeria, the largest online pharmacy in Lagos, Nigeria.