Carberdost 0.5 (cabergoline)
Caberdost 0.5mg is a medication used in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia (high levels of prolactin hormone). The main ingredient of Caberdost 0.5 is cabergoline which is a dopamine receptor agonist.
How does caberdost 0.5 work?
Cabergoline decreases the amount of prolactin in the body. High levels of prolactin (a hormone produced in breastfeeding women) can cause infertility, sexual problems, and bone loss in women who are not breastfeeding or in men.
How to use Cabergoline?
Cabergoline should be taken with food. Cabergoline may cause dizziness in the first days of treatment. Always consult your doctor/pharmacist/physician before using any drugs.
Can cabergoline be used in treating Parkinson’s disease?
Cabergoline has been used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, however, you would need to consult your doctor on the risks of using the medication in treating Parkinson’s
What are the special precautions for using cabergoline?
- Inform your doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to medications such as bromocriptine in Parlodel, dihydroergotamine in DHE 45, and migranal, ergoloid mesylates in hydergine, ergotamine in Cafergot and ergomar, methylergonovine in methergine, methysergide in sansert, and pergolide in Permax.
- Inform your doctor if you’ve ever had liver disease, if you’re pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant
- Inform your doctor if you’ve ever had any pulmonary or vascular conditions such as heart valve disease.
- Inform your doctor if you’re breastfeeding or plan on breastfeeding as caberdost may slow down or stop lactation.
- Be advised that caberdost can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
What are the side effects of caberdost?
Caberdost may cause the following side effects:
- breast pain
- Menstrual cramps
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing when lying down
- Decreased urination
- Groin pain
- Back pain
- Side pain
- Lumps in the stomach.
What are the symptoms of overdose of caberdost?
Symptoms of caberdost 0.5 overdose include:
- Stuffy nose
How much caberdost can I use?
In individuals with high prolactin levels or pituitary tumors; 0.25 mg two times a week is the starting dosage for adults, which may increase every four weeks to a maximum dosage of 1 mg twice a week.
What is the cause of high prolactin?
High prolactin or hyperprolactinemia is caused when the pituitary gland makes extra prolactin. It may also be caused by a tumor in the pituitary gland. Hyperprolactinemia can cause changes in ovulation, breast milk production, and menstrual cycle. In men, hyperprolactinemia can cause sexual issues such as decreased sex drive and the inability to get or keep an erection.
Can caberdost help with ovulation?
Since hyperprolactinemia can cause irregular ovulation or stop ovulation altogether due to the inhibition of the release of FSH and LH, caberdost can help restore normal ovulation by normalizing prolactin levels.
Price of caberdost in Nigeria