AZATHIOPRINE 50mg x 56 (ALMUS)
What is Azathioprine used for?
• Azathioprine is a prescribed medication used for preventing organ rejection in patients who have received a kidney transplant.
• Azathioprine is usually taken along with other medications to allow the new kidneys to function normally in the body.
• Azathioprine is also prescribed for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis which is a condition in which the body’s defence system attacks healthy joints
What is Azathioprine Composition?
Each tablet contains Azathioprine 50mg.
How do Azathioprine works?
Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant that works by weakening the immune system to help the body accept a new kidney as if it were its own after an organ transplant. It also suppresses the immune system to prevent further damage to the joints (in a condition known as rheumatoid arthritis)
Azathioprine 50mg is usually taken once daily every day or take Azathioprine exactly as prescribed by your physician based on your medical condition.
How to use Azathioprine
• Take Azathioprine by mouth exactly as directed by your doctor.
• Take Azathioprine with food to reduce stomach upset.
• The dosage of Azathioprine is based on your medical condition, weight, and response to treatment.
• Do not increase your dose of Azathioprine or use it more often or for longer than prescribed this might worsen your condition and also increase your risk of serious side effects.
• Swallow your Azathioprine tablets whole with a drink of water.
• Take this medication at the same time every day for effectiveness.
How quickly does it take for Azathioprine to work?
Azathioprine starts to work gradually after the first dose is taken. It can take up to 12 weeks before the full effect of Azathioprine is noticed in cases of Rheumatoid arthritis.
What are the side effects of Azathioprine?
Common side effects of Azathioprine include;
• A low white blood cell counts
• Stomach problems
• Diarrhoea, and
• Temporary hair loss
What time of the day is best to take azathioprine?
Azathioprine should be taken on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 3 hours after food or milk to get the best results.
Is Azathioprine safe to use in pregnancy and Breastfeeding?
Azathioprine is considered not safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding because it can be absorbed through the skin and lungs and may be harmful to an unborn baby and the baby being breastfed.
For how long should Azathioprine be taken?
Azathioprine if well tolerated will probably be used for up to 5 years.
Where to buy Azathioprine
Azathioprine is available for purchase at Drugstore.ng, Nigeria’s largest online pharmacy store.