Apixaban is an anticoagulant. It is used to prevent blood clots from forming due to irregular heartbeat. This irregular beating or pumping of the heart can increase the risk of stroke. Apixaban is also used in the treatment of other types of clots such as deep vein thrombosis. It also helps to prevent them from forming again.
Apixaban is a prescription medication.
What is Apixaban used for?
Apixaban is used to treat medical conditions caused by a blood clot. These conditions include:
- Heart attack
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in the legs)
- Pulmonary Embolism (blood clot in the lungs)
It is most commonly prescribed in people with an abnormal heartbeat and people who have recently had a hip or knee joint replacement surgery.
How does Apixaban work?
Apixaban belongs to a class of drugs known as Anticoagulants or blood thinners. They work by blocking certain proteins clotting in the blood, and making blood flow through your veins more easily.
Apixaban Side Effects
Some of the side effects of Apixaban include:
- Bleeding in the gum or nose
- Heavier periods in females
- Red or pinkish urine
- Swelling or joint pain
- Chest Pain
Tell your doctor of all the medications you are using.
To be used with caution in pregnant women as this may cause bleeding in both the mother and the unborn child.
Before using Apixaban, tell your doctor if you have, or have a history of any of the following:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Blood disorder such as anemia, hemophilia, thrombocytopenia
- Drinking problems
- Do not discontinue Apixaban without your doctor’s approval as this may increase your risk of getting a stroke.
- If you are found to have an allergy to Apixaban, another anticoagulant will be prescribed. But do not stop taking apixaban without talking to your doctor.
- Continue to take Apixaban even when you do not feel ill anymore.
- Do not miss your doses of Apixaban.
How to use Apixaban
Apixaban comes in tablet form, so it is to be taken orally. Apixaban can be used with or without food. Try to use this medication around the same time everyday. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed.
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist for your dosage of Apixaban and use exactly as directed.
You can get Apixaban on Drugstore Nigeria, the largest online pharmacy in Lagos, Nigeria.