Abacavir Comprimes 300mg x 60
Abacavir belongs to a class of medications called Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs). Abacavir is used along with other antiviral medications in the treatment of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection. Its mechanism of action is to decrease the amount of HIV in the blood.
Does Abacavir Cure HIV?
Abacavir does not cure HIV, but it may significantly decrease a patient’s chances of developing Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and other HIV-related illnesses such as serious infections or cancer.
What is Abacavir used for?
Abacavir is used with other HIV medications in the control of HIV infection. It helps to decrease the amount of HIV in the body, helping the immune system to function better.
Is Abacavir an Antiviral?
Abacavir is an antiviral medication used in the treatment of HIV.
What are Brand Names for Abacavir?
Some common brand names for Abacavir include Ziagen, Epzicom (containing Abacavir, Lamivudine), Triumeq (containing Abacavir, Dolutegravir, Lamivudine) and Trizivir.
What are the side effects of abacavir?
Abacavir may cause side effects such as rash, nausea, vomiting, fever, diarrhea and fatigue. It may also cause more serious side effects such as anxiety and depression. Abacavir could also cause allergic reactions such as:
- Blisters or peeling skin
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Extreme tiredness, and
- Shortness of breath.
How to Use Abacavir
Abacavir can be taken with or without food. Take Abacavir as directed by your doctor. Try to take Abacavir at around the same time every day.
- Keep taking Abacavir even if you start to feel well.
- Do not take more or less than prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not discontinue Abacavir without talking to your doctor.
- Do not skip your doses as it may make your condition become harder to treat. It could cause an allergic reaction if you have to restart your dosage.
Also, before taking abacavir, consult with your doctor on the following:
- A list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Your allergies
- Your edical history
- Your health conditions such as pregnancy, breastfeeding etc.
Abacavir is contraindicated in patients who have a known history of hypersensitivity to Abacavir.
Abacavir is available for purchase on Drugstore.ng, the largest online pharmacy in Lagos.